What is a handling pallet?
A handling pallet is a rigid horizontal platform, typically made of wood, plastic, or metal, used as a base for storing, moving, and transporting goods. Pallets are designed to be easily lifted and moved by handling equipment such as forklifts and pallet jacks.
Different types of pallets
There are several types of handling pallets that vary depending on the materials used and their design:
- Wooden pallets: these are the most common and economical. They offer good strength and a high load capacity.
- Plastic pallets: these are lightweight, weather-resistant, and corrosion-resistant. They are easy to maintain and are usually recyclable.
- Metal pallets: these are strong and durable, suitable for heavy loads and demanding environments.
- Hybrid pallets: these combine the characteristics of wooden and plastic pallets, offering increased strength and durability.
Advantages of using handling pallets
Using handling pallets offers several advantages for logistics operations, including:
- Streamlining processes: pallets help to organize and standardize storage and transport units of goods, making them easier to handle.
- Reducing handling times: thanks to their compatibility with forklifts and pallet jacks, pallets allow for quick and easy movement of large quantities of goods.
- Improving safety: by using pallets, the risk of injuries from manually lifting and transporting heavy loads is reduced.
- Optimizing storage space: pallets can be stacked, allowing for space-saving and improved warehouse organization.
- Protecting goods: pallets provide a stable support for products, reducing the risk of damage during handling and transport.